Home > GUJARATH RIOTS : TEHELKA > GUJARATH RIOTS : All Tribulation No Trial : TEHELKA part 2

GUJARATH RIOTS : All Tribulation No Trial : TEHELKA part 2


Key accused in the high-profile Gulbarg Society massacre in Ahmedabad are roaming free despite their admission that the police gave them a free run to kill 70 innocents, including former Congress MP Ehsan Jafri


WILL THE Special Investigation Team (SIT) interrogate Police Inspector KG Erda who was present when the marauding mobs went about their killing spree in Gulbarg? Will they summon officers who turned down all pleas of help by Dara Mody (whose son had gone missing) sitting at the police commissioner’s office just two kilometres away?” This is Tanvir Jafri, son of former Congress MP Ehsan Jafri, keeping his fingers crossed on the success of the team appointed last month by the Supreme Court to re-investigate 14 Gujarat pogrom cases of 2002. Having lost his father, who was hacked to pieces and set on fire, and waiting in vain for over five years for justice, Tanvir’s cynicism is not misplaced.

The questions he has raised for the SIT are real and in their answers lies the key to the Gulbarg housing society massacre. Thirty-nine people were killed, according to official figures, and 31 people went “missing”. “It was a 9-to-5 job by the rioters that could not have been executed without the direct complicity of the police. Will the SIT begin work on this premise, given that three out of five officers on the team are Gujarat cadre IPS officers?” asks Tanvir. The attack on the Gulbarg Society, which was first ambushed, started at 7.30am and lasted till 6pm on February 28, 2002, the day after the Godhra train fire.

TEHELKA’s sting operation published and telecast in November last year leaves not an iota of doubt about the complicity of the police officers. TEHELKA has on tape three key accused in the Gulbarg killings – Madan Chawal, Mangilal Jain and Raju Prahlad — describing how they carried out the attack along with a host of Sangh Parivar leaders and how the police gave them a free run. The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has now taken cognisance of the TEHELKA tapes and in a full commission order last week, recommended an inquiry by the Central Bureau of Investigation.

According to the three accused, the police not only gave them a free hand, but also exhorted the rioters to kill Muslims. Mangilal Jain said that the police inspector in charge of Meghaninagar police station, KG Erda told the rioters that they had three to four hours to carry out the killings. Raju said that police personnel deployed in the area not only stood back but signalled to the rioters to go for the kill. Erda arrived to “rescue” the survivors after the massacre was almost over. At this point, related Chawal, the rioters approached Erda and told him he was not doing the right thing as the survivors could testify against them.

So Erda came up with a heinous plan — as the van carrying the survivors drew away from Gulbarg, the rioters were to pelt stones at it so the constable on the vehicle could claim to have been scared off. He would flee and the mob could then torch it. But the plan could not be executed because of the timely intervention of a Muslim inspector called Pathan, Chawal said. At Gulbarg, where Jafri resided, poor Muslims from adjoining slums had taken shelter within the compound. The attackers blasted the wall from the front and the rear. Alarmed at the mob ambushing the complex, Jafri began to make frantic calls to police officers and political leaders. When nothing seemed to work, the accused told TEHELKA, Jafri opened fire on the mob and injured a few people. Then he offered the mob money pleading for them to spare him and the other Muslims in Gulbarg. At this, the mob told him to come down to them with the money.

JAIN SAID that as soon as he stepped out, Jafri dropped the money on the ground and tried to rush back. But the mob pounced on him. Chawal recalled the killing: “Paanch-chheh jan pakad liye the, phir usko jaise pakad ke khada rakha, phir logon mein se kisi ne talwar maari… haath kaate… haath kaat ke phir pair kaate… phir na sab kaat dala… phir tukde kar ke phir lakda jo lagaye thhe, lakde uspe rakh ke phir jala daala… zinda jala daala… (Five or six people held him, then someone struck him with a sword… chopped off his hand, then his legs… then everything else… after cutting him to pieces, they put him on the wood they’d piled and set it on fire… burnt him alive…)” After killing Jafri, the mob dragged out other Muslims and slaughtered them and set them on fire.

At around 4.30 in the evening, the police finally dispersed the mob and the survivors were rescued. The sting operation gave finality to allegations of victims and their families about the complicity of the police, the tacit backing of the political establishment as well as the charges that the police didn’t bother to mention many names of rioters in the FIRs despite the complainants spelling them out. “Besides the TEHELKA operation, there is enormous evidence available on the ground of how the rioters conducted themselves and how the police helped them,” says Teesta Setalvad of Citizens for Peace and Justice (CPJ), which is a co-petitioner along with the National Human Rights Commission in the Supreme Court.

In its final submission in the apex court, the CPJ has listed witnesses who had complained that the names of many rioters had been dropped by the police from the FIRs. It cites the Gujarat government’s own admission that as many as 25 persons named by witnesses and victims in affidavits before the Supreme Court in applications to various authorities and in police statements have been left out of the chargesheets and not arrested. The government has also admitted that out of 46 accused in the Gulberg case, 41 are out on bail. Prahlad Raju recalled that the police treated the accused with all honour: “The Crime Branch people behaved very nicely with us… We felt completely at home… Our family members used to come to meet us and they were allowed to… We were kept at the Branch for about a week.”

The TEHELKA investigation also showed how the Gujarat government already had a legal remedy plan in place even before the post-Godhra riots started. An entire battery of lawyers, including public prosecutors, was kept ready from within the ranks of the Sangh Parivar. Will the SIT look at this? In the case of Gulbarg, Chetan Shah, a VHP member and a leading lawyer of Ahmedabad who first defended the Naroda Patiya pogrom accused, was appointed as the public prosecutor. TEHELKA has Prahlad Raju on tape saying how Chetan advised him when to surrender and how to go about his case. “It is public knowledge that the entire system in Gujarat was subverted to facilitate the pogrom and its legal aftermath.

There are witnesses, there are sufferers, there are media reports, there is the clinching TEHELKA operation. What more the SIT would want, except the will and the courage to get to the masterminds and not just a few small fries? Justice will be delivered not by picking up some 35-30 ordinary people but by nailing the perpetrators,” says Tanvir. Today, the Gulbarg Society compound wears an eerie look, the charcoal stains of the fire that engulfed many slit-up bodies are still there for the SIT to see. There is nobody there, none dares to return, but the quiet here speaks of the conspiracy. Over to the Special Investigation Team.

  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: